Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only:
a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code)
b) government agencies.
c) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law
d) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;
e) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services
Specifically: UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M .®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
Now UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law.
BUT NOTE: Receivers or frames of a firearm are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.via UPS Next Day Air Services
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms. Firearm mufflers and silencers are not accepted for transportation.
Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms
• All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.
• All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
• Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.
• The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
• The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
• Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily
On-RoutePickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
• Note:Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call Pickup®, or at locations of The UPS store® or any third party retailer.
• When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
• See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.
Special Procedures for Shipping Ammunition
UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material. Ammunition cannot be shipped where it exceeds 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifles or handguns or 8 gauge for shotguns.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing ammunition complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.
Use These UPS Services for Your Ammunition Shipment
In order to meet the exception for "Limited Quantities" shipments or ORM-D materials, which are not subject to the shipping paper requirements of subpart C of part 172 of 49 CFR, ammunition can only be shipped via UPS Ground, and only within the 48 contiguous United States, or via UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska. Shipments of ammunition with other UPS services must be prepared as fully regulated hazardous material and are available only on a contractual basis.
Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally.
Packing and Labeling Requirements for Ammunition
All ammunition must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Ammunition must be packed with internal boxes or partitioning or in metal clips. The internal boxes, partitions or clips must fit snugly into the external packaging that is securely closed so that it cannot open during transportation.
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 172, et seq. regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.
For additional information regarding packaging and labeling requirements, refer to "How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)," at the link below, or contact UPS.
Getting Your Ammunition Shipment to UPS
Packages containing ammunition may be tendered to UPS through a UPS pickup or by dropping off at the various locations accepting packages for shipment by UPS. However, do not deposit shipments of ammunition in a UPS Drop Box, as hazardous materials are not permitted to be deposited in UPS Drop Boxes.
See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service applicable to U.S. shipments for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.